Is thrifting safe in the age of covid 19
We have to ask the question is it safe to buy thrift preowned items in the age of covid 19. In my opinion I think it can be safe if we follow the strict cleansing regiment for many of the thrift items that can be washed and disinfected with bleach.
There are some items that are preowned might be excluded such as shoes, and undergarments if they can't be washed well.
1. Some items that can be thrifted is clothing such as jeans, blouses, skirts, dresses, pant suits and any other clothing. These items should be laundered according to the directions on label and should use detergent that includes clorox to safely launder the clothes.
2. Handbags if they are leather they should be wiped down with a Lysol wipe gently just to disinfect. Use leather cleaner to clean leather. If cloth handbags they can be washed in the washing machine.
3. Toys can be washed if plastic or rubber by using disinfectants or bleach with hot water. If a plush toy it could be washed in the washing machine unless the condition is not good .
4. Furniture is the easiest and safest item to thrift during covid 19 because all you have to do is wipe it down with disinfectant and water and then use furniture cleaner. Furniture is usually refinished or upcycled usually to fit the buyers decor.
5. Housewares such as vintage plates, mugs,casserole dishes, and Tupperware. These items can be washed with liquid detergent and hot water.
6. Vintage textiles such as blankets, quilts and tablecloths can be easily laundered following label instructions on textiles.
7. Home improvement supplies and tools can be cleaned easily with bleach.
8. Small kitchen appliances if tested at the thrift store can be purchased with the same guidelines for cleaning the item is followed.
9. Finally, electronics as long as they are tested in the store and cleaned by cdc guidelines.
I think thrift stores may even clean some of these items before selling them in this age of covid 19 if they want people to feel safe purchasing these items. Remember to use a mask and gloves when you go thrifting and wash your hands after wards. Stay safe while thrifting.